The 144-hour transit visa-free policy for foreigners and answers to frequently asked questions

Starting from January 30, 2016, 144-hour (6-day) transit visa exemption policy will be implemented for 51 national personnel at various open ports in Shanghai and Nanjing Air Port of Jiangsu Province and Hangzhou Airport Port of Zhejiang Province to realize transit clearance for relevant ports in the Yangtze River Delta. The policy is linked to the policy, and the specific interpretation of the policy is as follows:

Q1: Which countries can apply for passengers?

A: Citizens of 51 countries can enjoy the 144-hour visa-free policy in the Yangtze River Delta. They are:

24 European Schengen countries: Austria, Belgium, Czech Republic, Denmark, Estonia, Finland, France, Germany, Greece, Hungary, Iceland, Italy, Latvia, Lithuania, Luxembourg, Malta, Netherlands, Poland, Portugal, Slovakia, Slovenia, Spain, Sweden, and Switzerland.
13 other European countries: Russia, United Kingdom, Ireland, Cyprus, Bulgaria, Romania, Ukraine, Serbia, Croatia, Bosnia, Herzegovina, Montenegro, Macedonia, and Albania.
6 American countries: the United States, Canada, Brazil, Mexico, Argentina, and Chile.
2 Oceania countries: Australia and New Zealand
6 Asian countries: South Korea, Japan, Singapore, Brunei, United Arab Emirates, and Qatar.

Q2: Which ports does the policy apply to?

A: China airports that can handle 72 hours visa-free are:

Shanghai Pudong Airport (PVG)
Shanghai Hongqiao Airport (SHA)
Shanghai Port International Passenger Transport Center
Shanghai Wusongkou International Cruise Port
Shanghai Railway Port
Jiangsu Nanjing Lukou International Airport (NKG)
Hangzhou Xiaoshan International Airport (HGH), Zhejiang

Q3: How to apply for the 144-hour transit visa-free entry check-in procedure?

A: The Shanghai Coastal Inspection Agency has set up a special inspection channel for 144 hours of transit visa exemption at Shanghai Pudong International Airport, Hongqiao International Airport, Shanghai Port International Passenger Transport Center, Wusongkou International Cruise Port and Shanghai Railway Port. Submit to the border police:

My valid entry and exit documents (eg passport)
A confirmed ticket for the date and seat to a third country (region, including Hong Kong, Macao and Taiwan) within 144 hours
Foreigners entering the exit card in advance
And accept the inquiry of the police, after the review is correct, you can get it.

Q4: How is the calculation of the 144-hour transit visa-free time?

A: After the border inspection agency issues a temporary entry permit for passengers free of charge, passengers can stay for 144 hours in the administrative areas of Shanghai, Jiangsu and Zhejiang Provinces from 0:00 on the next day. For example: Foreigners entering Shanghai at 7 am on March 1 and 144 hours of transit visa exemption can stay until 12 o’clock on the evening of March 7.

With temporary entry permits, foreigners can apply for accommodation and staying. In case of force majeure and other reasons, it is necessary to stay in the above three administrative areas for more than 144 hours, or to exceed the administrative area of ​​the permitted stay, you should go to the relevant provincial and municipal public security entry and exit administration departments to handle the corresponding stay documents.

Q5: What is the need to pay attention to the 144-hour transit visa exemption?

A: According to regulations, the 144-hour transit visa-free policy is for foreigners who transit to a third country or region, so the departure and destination must be different. for example:
A) Returning from the United States to Shanghai, this policy cannot be applied.
B) This policy can be applied to transit from the United States to Shanghai.
C) This policy can be applied to the United States to go to Singapore to go to the United States.

Q6: With 144 hours of transit visa exemption, which cities can I go to?

A: According to regulations, the 144-hour transit visa can go to any city in Shanghai, Jiangsu Province and Zhejiang Province.

Q7: From Shanghai, apply for a 144-hour transit visa, do a train to Hangzhou, and then exit from Hangzhou?

A: Yes, Hangzhou belongs to Zhejiang Province, and you can arrange your trip in this way.

Q8: Entering from Shanghai, applying for a 144-hour transit visa, and then going to Beijing by train?

A: No, according to the regulations, the 144-hour transit visa exemption can only be used within the scope of Jiangsu, Zhejiang and Shanghai.

Q9: Can I apply for a 144-hour transit visa by taking a cruise from Korea to Shanghai after 2 days and then departing for Japan?

A: Yes, according to Q2, Shanghai Wusongkou International Cruise Port can handle 144 hours of transit visa exemption.

The above information is from the website of the Chinese government agency. If you have any questions about the 144-hour transit visa, you can directly contact the airport for inspection at 021-68345733 (Chinese). You can also contact us for help.