Such precious jewelry, yet its polish, deteriorates.
The leading causes of tarnished jewelry are:
- Your jewelry is not made of pure gold/silver, etc., and thus, it corrodes & oxidizes.
- Air pollution
- Perfume, soap, detergent, wax, lotions, bleach, etc.
- Cosmetics that contain zinc oxide, titanium dioxide, and Calamine
- Corrosion of the metals
- Metallic abrasion
- Harmful polishing cloth
- When exposed to a swimming pool or hot tub
- Careless handling and negligence
How long your jewelry sustains depends on how much of its metal parts are tarnish-resistant.
The tarnish tends to turn jewelry into different colors (black, green, blue, etc.).
When this color transformation occurs, your jewelry must undergo frequent polishing. Else the tarnish will ultimately deteriorate the jewelry.
Usually, the factory process comprises of using tumbling media to polish & retain a jewelry’s radiance.
But if you’re someone who:
- Have no money to invest in a goldsmith or factory process,
- Less time,
- No trust in the industrial process.
Then, we’ve got your back.
Learn 4 Do-It-Yourself hacks to polish your jewelry from the below infographic:
We hope you try the Jewelry polishing hacks & be amused!
10 tips to prevent your jewelry from getting tarnished:
- Store your jewelry in a zipped purse. Suitable purse material to store any Jewelry is Cotton, Wool, Wooden boxes & velvet. Avoid storing your jewelry in linen and jersey materials. While traveling, carry jewelry cases or jewelry rolls.
- Do not keep delicate jewelry with piercing jewelry.
- Sort & store each jewelry separately according to its type.
- Keep the jewelry away from sun, heating vents & sources.
- Use ultrasonic cleaners to clean your jewelry only after consulting a Jewelry expert.
- Get your expensive jewelry checked out at least thrice a year by a Jewelry expert to ensure its state.
- Remove jewelry while playing sports and cleaning your home.
- Get educated about what constitutes the process of Jewelry cleaning. Go out for factory tours, talk to jewelry experts, and read influential blogs on jewelry care. Keep an eye on broken clasps, deep scratches, or chain links. Above all, understand when to reach out to a professional Jewelry expert.
- Invest your time creating a jewelry care kit that tends to work just like first aid during an emergency. Pieces of equipment you can include in your Jewelry care kit are soft-brushes, cotton cloth, tweezers, glue, detergent, etc.
- Do not use silver ‘dip’ cleaners on your gold jewelry. Also, avoid using abrasive cleaners.
Now, there will be rare times when you have much jewelry or the jewelry might be very delicate and cannot be polished at home.
In such cases, try approaching a centrifugal disc finishing machine or Vibratory tumbling machine and uses advanced tumbling media.
If you’re a goldsmith, a reseller, or a jewelry expert using mass finishing machines, you sure do not want to miss out on advanced tumbling media.
These units are worth a buy if you own a lot of jewelry.
Besides jewelry, tumbling media can also help you polish surfaces of various types.
So, if you want to polish almost any surface, use the below sheet, which comprises of a list of things that can be polished using Tumbling Media:
|High energy finishing process||Use Porcelain Tumbling Media|
|To remove rust on iron parts||Use Ceramic Tumbling Media|
|For polishing soft metals||Use Walnut Shell Tumbling|
|Metal polishing||Use Porcelain Tumbling Media|
|For brass polishing||Use Corn Cob Tumbling Media|
|Plastic Polishing||Use Porcelain Tumbling Media|
|For polishing & cutting without changing parts dimension||Use 3P Granule Tumbling Media|
|For Steel & Titanium Deburring||Use Ceramic Tumbling Media|
|For Grinding & Milling||Use Zirconia Ball|
|For creating a Radius||Use Ceramic Tumbling Media|
|For polishing plastic parts||Use Walnut Shell Tumbling|
|For Mirror Finishing||Use High-Density Tumbling Media|
|To improve surface finishing||Use Porcelain Tumbling Media|
|When the surface is ready for microbrite porcelain ball to burnish.||Use Z1 Zirconium Polyester Plastic Media|
|For effectively preventing media lodge in parts||Use CX Nipple shape Plastic Abrasive Media|
|For removing machining marks||Use Ceramic Tumbling Media|
|For oil & grease absorbing||Use Corn Cob Tumbling Media|
|For polishing electric parts||Use Zirconia Ball|
|For edge rounding||Use Ceramic Tumbling Media|
|For plastic & rubber smoothing||Use Plastic Media|
|For finishing 3D printed parts||Use Walnut Shell Tumbling|
|For polishing gold & silver||Use Zirconia Ball|
|For removing slag & grease on laser cutting parts||Use Ceramic Tumbling Media|
|For metal & plastic light polishing||Use Corn Cob Tumbling Media|
|For high value-added metal like medical parts, aerospace blade, etc.||Use Z1 Zirconium Polyester Plastic Media|
|For finishing delicate parts||Use Walnut Shell Tumbling|
|Deburring & polishing in the same process||Use High-Density Tumbling Media|
|Finishing and deburring on hard-to-reach-area of parts, so we can remove deep burr easier.||Use CX Nipple shape Plastic Abrasive Media|
|For titanium metal parts||Use Z1 Zirconium Polyester Plastic Media|
|For deburring brass & aluminium parts||Use Plastic Media|
|For jewelry polishing||Use Walnut Shell Tumbling|
|For reducing metal porosity||Use Carbon Steel Tumbling Media|
|For increasing wear resistance in an object||Use Stainless Steel Tumbling Media|
|For tumbling large parts||Use High-Density Tumbling Media|
|For parts drying & cleaning||Use Corn Cob Tumbling Media|
|For pre-plating finishing||Use Plastic Media|
|For having an object enter into small hole & contour||Use 3P Granule Tumbling Media|
|Surface case-hardening||Use Stainless Steel Tumbling Media|
|For metal polishing & metal surface work-hardening||Use Carbon Steel Tumbling Media|
|The process can replace ceramic media and common polyester plastic media into one steps.||Use Z1 Zirconium Polyester Plastic Media|
|For machining lines removal||Use Plastic Media|
|For high luster finishing||Use Carbon Steel Tumbling Media|
|For replacing steel tumbling media||Use Zirconia Ball|
|For aggressive acidic compound polishing process||Use Stainless Steel Tumbling Media|
|For high energy centrifugal barrel machines||Use 3P Granule Tumbling Media|
|Used in centrifugal disc finishing machine and vibratory finishing machines.||Use Z1 Zirconium Polyester Plastic Media|
|Suitable for aluminum deburring and smoothing, zamak3 material pre-plating treatment.||Use CX Nipple shape Plastic Abrasive Media|